Wednesday, August 14, 2013

POETRY #1

1.)  The commercial uses "The Laughing Heart" by Charles Bukowski.

2.)  It is ironic that the corporation is promoting individuality and the ability to transcend and "go forth," while, at the same time, the corporation wants the viewers to concede to their brand and purchase Levi jeans.

3.)  I believe the poem fits Bukowski's reputation as the child of European immigrants who sought for the American Dream, because the poem utilizes that transcendentalist feeling of reaching goals and going forth to make something of yourself.  Also, he was bullied as a child, but the ability to overcome obstacles like that in life is displayed well in the poem.  However, Bukowski was a harsh realist which contradicts the poem's dream-like quality.

4.)  In order to find the poem, I Googled the line "Your life is your life" and Charles Bukowski popped up.  That answered question one, but in order to answer question four, I skimmed various articles of Charles Bukowski online including articles from Wikipedia and other blogs.  I also verified my answer by checking the blogs of my peers which helped me gain a little more insight

Question 1: http://thebestamericanpoetry.typepad.com/the_best_american_poetry/2008/11/the-laughing-he.html
Question 4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bukowski

No comments:

Post a Comment