Monday, August 19, 2013

REFLECTIONS ON WEEK 1

1.  Only a few minor factors will keep me from full participation in the class, and those consist of ASB/SDMC meetings scheduled throughout the year and varsity boys' golf during the spring season will force my absence approximately two times per week.  Regardless, I should be more than capable to manage and follow the blog.

2.  The most inspiring learning experience that I have ever taken was a recent one.  I went to UCLA to attend a forum on medicine and leadership, since I would like to be very active in both fields in the future.  I was introduced to the way medical students practice, which is called "problem-based learning (PBL)."  Through PBL, I was initiated into various situations in which a team of students was given various scenarios with evidence, and we had to make inferences similar to "solving a mystery," except at the end of the scenario, we had to diagnose a patient.  The whole forum, in general, was amazing, and PBL introduced me into a whole new way of learning.

3.  I am excited for the democratized learning, and this teaching method interests me because I have never seen anything like it yet.  In learning, I tend to look forward to being introduced to new things; so I have high expectations for this class.  Like Dr. Preston said, "The internet is the central nervous system of the world, and if we can tap into it, we have given ourselves the advantage."  Although I paraphrased that last quotation, I find this to be true and as practical as can be.  Tying myself into an advanced, learning social network will not only improve but enhance my capabilities in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment