Sunday, November 3, 2013

TIME...



Yes, I'm making another post about music, because I forgot to put up my song project for October, but I promise I'll get that to you guys this month!  Music is what I like, and since I have the independence to study what I like in this course, I'm sharing it all with you guys!

The video above is a piece called "Time" composed by Hans Zimmer for the soundtrack of the movie, Inception, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.  If you haven't seen Inception, it is a great film with many underlying themes and symbols hidden within it, and I feel like this video captures the movie well, but what I mainly want to focus on is the music behind the visuals.

"Time" is an interesting title for a composition, isn't it?  It brings into question what time really is.  It is all around us, but it isn't something you can feel or see or hear, until now.  I don't want to talk too much about what music does to the mind; I want you to experience it for yourselves; so I challenge you to watch this video.  I want you to try to not just hear the music, but listen to it.  For me, "Time" is one of the most emotionally compelling pieces that I've ever heard, and I get goosebumps whenever I listen to it.  Sometimes, there is no description or word that captures the feeling...  If you even see this post and are interested, please let me know how you feel as the music progresses.  Why would Hans Zimmer begin the music so soft and build upon it the way he did?  What does this piece make you think about?  Heartache? Memory? Good times? Bad times?  Is there something perfect about the imperfect chords and harmonies embedded within the piece?  If you don't want to think, just let the music take you someplace far away or let the images from the video do that job for you as well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment