Monday, March 10, 2014

BENCHMARK...

I guess you should know why I'm about music.  When I was 4 years old, I walked into the living room.  My big brother of 9 sat at the piano, playing a tune.  He was already at "level 3" when it came to reading music.  "Maybe you'll learn to be as good as me one day," he said.

He left to go play outside.  My parents were out.  I rolled back the cover that protects the keys of black and white and put my ear to the piano.  It was electric and old, but I said, "One day, I'll be able to play this thing like nobody else can."  Using nothing but the memory from which I heard him play, I taught myself to play the thing; not by reading the foreign symbols placed in front of me on my brother's papers, but by something much stronger.  By the time he walked back into the house, tired from play, I was playing his song.  I was 4.

I'm no prodigy.  I was only born with a desire to live in music.  I took lessons from that point on, and I've won classical piano tournaments throughout the state of California, but I never learned how to read the music I played until I was much older, and this quality damaged my chances of going any further with my lessons.

So I quit.  I picked up some software and became a producer.  I even sold the music I produced for a while, which was made on FL Studio (basic stuff, nothing special).  Having sold all that I've made, I no longer have the rights to any of my songs; so as an older hobby, I guess I could pick it up again.  Regardless of the project I choose to be a part of for my "masterpiece," I intend to show you all somehow how I make music and hopefully give you insight as to why it is important to me.  My memories of family, my philosophy of living, and the ways I think can all revolve around the endless moments that I can sit at the piano and hit the same chord over and over again just to feel the same way.
Sometimes I still rest my head on the keys.  It's weird, I know, but now that my brother has moved out, I find myself alone in the house a lot with nobody but myself to impress, meaning there's nothing to stop me from playing as loud as I want...

No comments:

Post a Comment