Monday, October 21, 2013

GROUP PROJECT

I was in Lesther Valenzuela's group for this project.  I apologize for not being able to make it to class for the presentations.

WHAT I LEARNED AND HOW I LEARNED IT

During Dr. Preston's absence I learned quite a few things.  I read Act 2 of Hamlet, and I was able to further myself on the story-line of that, but while conversing with my colleagues in class, our every-day conversations gave me further insight to Hamlet as a character.  In fact, I found Hamlet to be so related to the teens in the modern world that a conversation about Homecoming even provoked some thought.  Aside from the story-line of the play that everyone's currently reading, the lesson that stood out to me the most was one from Nik Koyama.  It is always insightful and unexpected when learning from one of our peers.  During his presentation, he clearly demonstrated a key element of teenage life: that we all have many great things in our lives, but one negative event or thought or action could change our positive energy into negative energy.  I saw the passion that Nik presented to us, and I saw a future motivational speaker in him.  Since his presentation related to teenage life, his talk also applied to Hamlet.  I heard once from Calvin Terrell that "hurt people, hurt people."  Because of the pain that Hamlet has been suffering through from his father's death, he chooses to take this negative energy and convert it into revenge.  As a hurt person, he chooses to hurt others, and this is seen every week in high school where some smoldering teenager takes their anger out on the others around them, whether that be on social media or face to face.  Lastly, I finally connected the dots on the whole "Open Source Learning" thing.  It took me long enough, but Nik said that he is currently undergoing the process of creating a network of sources or "helpers."  With these connections, new doors open up for him, because he is creating an open source, where everyone who is willing and able to help is invited.  An Open Source is kind of like a power outlet that anyone can plug into.  I understand now why Dr. Preston utilizes the internet, because it gives all of us access to connect with one another.  With the internet, we can all create sources in which we can learn from and guide each other.  It may not fully make sense to you, but it does now for me.  I learned all of this through reading alone, conversing with colleagues, listening to Nik's presentation, and thinking, which I tend to do a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment